Speeches, Articles and Research
How to pronounce his name:
Narayana Kocherlakota took office as president and chief executive officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis on Oct. 8, 2009. In that capacity, Kocherlakota serves on the Federal Open Market Committee, the policymaking arm of the Federal Reserve System. In addition to his responsibilities as a monetary policymaker, Kocherlakota oversees all operations of the bank, including supervision and regulation, and payments services.
Before his appointment as president, Kocherlakota served as a member of the Minneapolis Fed’s Research staff, as well as a Research consultant for the Bank. His prior experience also includes professorships at the University of Minnesota, where he was chair of the Economics Department, and at Stanford University. Kocherlakota has published more than 30 articles in academic journals on a variety of topics, including monetary and financial economics. His work includes theoretical and empirical contributions to monetary economics and financial economics. Kocherlakota was named one of the top 100 Global Thinkers by Foreign Policy magazine in 2012. He is on the Board of Directors of the Economic Club of Minnesota.
Kocherlakota earned a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Chicago in 1987 and an A.B. in mathematics from Princeton in 1983.
View Narayana Kocherlakota’s schedule
As Minneapolis Fed President
- Monetary Policy Report to the Minnesota Business Partnership,
Minneapolis, Minnesota, July 8, 2014
- Conversation With Students at Eastview High School,
Eastview High School
Apple Valley, Minnesota, July 1, 2014
- Low Real Interest Rates,
Boston, Massachusetts, June 5, 2014
- Monetary Policy Report to the Economic Club of Minnesota,
Minneapolis, Minnesota, May 21, 2014
- Reflections on Diversity,
St. Paul, Minnesota, May 9, 2014
Articles, Papers and Messages
- Reflections on Diversity, The Region, June 2014
- Message from the President, The Region, April 2014
- Interview with The Wall Street Journal on March 21st (Audio), Messages, March 2014
- Statement on Dissenting Vote at March 19, 2014, Meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee, Messages, March 2014
- Fed Marks 100 Years, The Region, December 2013
View all work by Kocherlakota as Minneapolis Fed President
Research as a Minneapolis Fed Economist
Money and Bonds: An Equivalence Theorem
July 2007 - Staff Report 393
Household Heterogeneity and Real Exchange Rates
April 2006 - Staff Report 372
Published In: Economic Journal (Vol. 117, 2007, pp. C1-C25)
Optimal Monetary Policy: What We Know and What We Don’t Know
October 2005 - Quarterly Review 2912
Published In: International Economic Review (Vol. 46, No. 2, May 2005, pp. 715-729)
Optimal Indirect and Capital Taxation
September 2001 - Staff Report 293
Published In: Review of Economic Studies (Vol. 70, No. 3, July 2003, pp. 569-587)
Looking for Evidence of Time-Inconsistent Preferences in Asset Market Data
July 2001 - Quarterly Review 2532
Optimal Indirect and Capital Taxation
June 2001 - Working Paper 615
View all research by Kocherlakota at the Minneapolis Fed
Prior Economic Research
This list includes only a selection of papers; view all prior research for more, sorted by topic and date. See CV [PDF] for full citations.
Asset Pricing and Portfolio Choice
Cycles and Growth
- "Creating Business Cycles Through Credit Constraints," Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Quarterly Review, 2000.
- "Using Theory for Measurement: Measuring the Cyclical Behavior of Home Production," Journal of Monetary Economics, joint with B. F. Ingram and N. E. Savin, 1997.
- "Is there Endogenous Long Run Growth? Evidence from the United States and the United Kingdom," Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, joint with K. Yi, 1997.
Dynamic Contracting and Dynamic Games
Money and Banking
- "Internal Debt Crises and Sovereign Defaults," working paper, joint with C. Arellano, 2008.
- "Forbearance and Prompt Corrective Action," Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, joint with I. Shim, 2007.
- "Model Fit and Model Selection," Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, 2007.
View all prior research by Kocherlakota sorted by topic and date