Tips on Writing a Winning Essay
Begin at the Minneapolis Fed's Web site.
The bibliography can direct you to additional links.
An essay with strong content can lose its effectiveness if filled with
spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes. Use this checklist to ensure
a clean and easy-to-read copy.
- Thesis clearly presented
- Paragraphs well organized
- Effective transitions between paragraphs
- Argument follows a logical progression
- Strong evidence used to support thesis
- Sentence structure
- Page numbers
- Bibliography and parenthetical references or footnotes follow a consistent
style (see a teacher or librarian for a reference guide)
- Cover includes required information
- First page with title and no name
- Copy can be easily readtype is clear and dark
Use footnotes or parenthetical references for all direct quotations and
important facts. See your teacher for a guide on how to format your footnotes
and bibliography. Be sure to include citations of interviews.