for Money Unit
This teacher's guide is designed to lead your class through further study
of economic topics. Web links are provided for further reading, and journal
articles are cited on subjects difficult to find on the Web.
Why is preventing counterfeit money important?
What other counterfeiting measures would you include in the new currency
What effect will the "Electronic Age" have on money, especially
- Credit cards
- Debit cards
- Smart cardsan "electronic purse" which holds money
that can be subtracted at stores and vending machines
- Telephone banking
Businesses and consumers are beginning to realize the cost and inconvenience
of handling money. Some banks are even charging for teller services.
What effect will this have on how we buy and sell goods and services?
- What effect will globalization have on the dollar and other countries'
- A common currency for the European Community?
- Could this lead to a North American currency? A world currency?
Features, via the Bureau of Engraving
News, via the Bureau of the Mint
50 states commemorative coin program,
via the Bureau of the Mint
- Governments and
Money, via the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland
Processing and Destruction,
via the Federal Reserve Bank of New York
Currency Gets Into Circulation, via the Federal Reserve Bank
of New York
- Small change: thoughts
on the penny,
The Region, March 1992
- Federal Reserve System's
The Region, December 1991
- U.S. Currency
New Designs, via the U.S. Treasury
and Cents: Fundamental Facts about U.S. Money, via the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
- Virtual Money Museum, via the Federal Reserve
Bank of Chicago
- "The (Funny) Money Supply." Business Week, May
23, 1994, p.109.
- "Plastic is Beautiful." The Economist, Dec. 25,
New European Currency:
- Assessing the Euro Three
Years After Its Launch, The Region, June 2001
- Interview with Tommaso
Padoa-Schioppa, Member of the Executive Board of the European Central Bank, The
Region, June 2001
- "To Phrase a Coin." The Economist, Feb. 11, 1995,
- "Europe's Currency Tangle: The way ahead." The Economist, Jan. 30, 1993, p.21.
- "One Big Currencyand One Big Job Ahead." Business Week, Dec. 23, 1991, p.40.